Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 22:27:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Martin Phillips <MartinPhillips@Ladybridge.com>
Cc:        Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with PCMCIA card support

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Martin Phillips wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD on an old laptop that used to run various
> versions of Windows.  I have two problems...
>
> 1. The installation process appears not to see my PCMCIA cards.  Running
> pccardd says "No PC-CARD slots".  That's a shame really, because my ethernet
> card is essential.  How do I convince the system that there really are card
> slots?

you seem to be using 5.2.1 so the pccardc/pccardd commands are not used
unless you recompile your kernel with the options to use the old pcmcia
code.  see /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/OLDCARD if you have the system sources
installed.
have a look through your dmesg and see if cbb0 is mentioned (havent got a
laptop handy to tell you exactly what you could grep on, sorry.) if so
then it may be the pcmcia card not the controller that is not recognised.

> 2. Resolution is not helped by the install process not showing the Kernel
> Configuration Menu that is described in section 2.3.2 of the documentation.
> How can I get to this menu to check my system configuration?

Sorry cant help, which documentation ? the handbook doesnt seem to have a
2.3.2 section. Its possible your looking at something related to the < 5.x
preinstallation config menu.

Vince