Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 02:16:51 -0600
From:      Michael Porter <ocean@wavefront.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help with CD-R

Hi, I just purchased a "HI-VAL" 2X8X IDE  CD-R.  I could not get
cd-write to recognize it (although /stand/sysutil had no problem reading
from the drive)  and I couldn't get cdrecord off of the net.  Well, I
saw it there through the web, and when I tried to get it with
/stand/sysutil, it had cd-write, but not cdrecord.  I saw something
about "worm" and lookedit up, seeing immediately that it was for SCSI
drives, whereas mine is IDE. Dmesg says this:

wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <CR-2801TE/1.06>, removable, intr, dma, iordis
wcd0:  1377Kb/sec, 512Kb cache, audio play, 2 volume levels, ejectable
tray
wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked

The package says 1 meg cache, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were
deceptive.
Do I need to reconfig my kernel?  Help please!

Michael Porter
ocean@wavefront.com