Date:      Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:23:10 +0200
From:      "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
Subject:   RE: Forwarding mail to another server

Pat Maddox wrote:

> I wanted to try Daniel's method, using SMART_HOST.  So I removed the
> ssmtp port and, made the changes back to /etc/mail/mailer.conf, and
> followed his instructions.  None of the messages go through, they
> always end up on my local machine with the message "Failed to route
> address."  Any ideas on what to do?

Did you actually uncomment the line? If it starts with "dnl" it is
considered a comment. Did you preserve the `' around the names? Can you
"telnet mailrelay.myisp.com 25" and have it reply properly?

You can also try to bump up the log level and see if /var/log/maillog
gives you any more hints. There are several ways to bump the loglevel,
but I usually just add the following line to the .mc file (and "make cf
install restart"):
define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `25')

Another thing you could try is to use square brackets around the
mailrelay, like so:
define(`SMART_HOST', `[mailrelay.myisp.com]')
This will force Sendmail to connect directly to that host, instead of
doing a DNS lookup for MX pointers.

/Daniel Eriksson