Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 08:07:48 +0200
From:      Philipp Huber <uebs@gmx.at>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Question

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 11:47:58PM -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> Delmar W. Van Tassell, Jr. wrote to Questions@FreeBSD.ORG:
>
> > Hi there,
> > 	In the process of bringing up the latest build of FreeBSD, I ran across
> > the term "ElTorito" format re: CDroms.  What does this mean?
>
> Someone may correct me on this, but I *belive* the ElTorito format is an
> extension on ISO9660 (which may or may not be compatible with the ISO9660
> spec) that allows for Windows' long filenames.  However, to my knowledge,
> the ISO9660 is the ONLY recommended format for cross-platform CDROMS (not
> necessarily a limitation of FreeBSD).

ok, i'll correct you ;) the thing you mean is joliet. the unix pendant is called rockridge.
anyway el torito is an extesnsion, which emulates a floppy drive from cd, so the cd is bootable. so if you want to burn a bootable cd, the burning software will ask you for a boot floppy image.

> > Also, how
> > does one mount CD's without getting "Illegal Superblock"
> >
> > Many Thanks,		Del
>
> "Illegal superblock" means the filesystem format being mounted (or, more
> correctly, the block device being mounted) was not recognized.  If you get
> this error mounting one of those ElTorrito discs, and NOT when mounting
> genuine ISO discs, chances are ElTorrito is a Bad Idea :-)  Again, I don't
> consider myself an expert on CD-ROM formats, but I DO know how to practice
> common sense :-)
>
> Or, you may be mounting your disc incorrectly.  Assuming you have an empty
> /mnt directory, and that you are using an ATAPI CD-ROM (connected on your
> IDE controller), try something like this:
>
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0a /mnt

i think this should solve the problem. in my first freebsd days i was used to the auto-regocnition of filesystems by linux, and i often got this error. :-)
btw. could alsao be mount_cd9660 ....
mine was automatically configured for mount /cdrom. how nice :)

--
Philipp