Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 13:11:56 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata_tags and write_cache question (CORRECTED)

Well, what you should *not* do is to use "plain" (untagged) write cache and
softupdates at the same time, as the two together increase latency time even
more, and when I briefly did that I lost work that I'd done just before
shutting down, and left my file systems in a corrupt state (forced fsck on
reboot).  I solved the problem by disabling write caching.

But in theory the tagging makes it safer.

I wouldn't recommend it, but it depends on your tolerance for risk vs. speed.

If you *do* do it, there are still potential latency problems.  It would be
wise not to do a "shutdown -p" with this setup, but rahther to do "shutdown
-h" and then power off after waiting a few seconds until the disk has been
quiet for a while.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org