Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:06:50 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble With Linux Compatibility

Boris Samorodov wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net> writes:
>

>> I am trying to install a linux rpm of Legato Networker Backup Client.
>>

> It is not supposed to work (installing via rpm). You may try to do like
> this:
> -----
> # cd $LINUX_BASE
> # rpm2cpio -q < $directory_with_rpm_package/$rpm_package | cpio -id
> -----
> Then find any new binary executable files and brandelf(1) them (only
> executables, not libraries).

Thank you!  I think I have it working.  Will have to test to be sure
it's working OK.  I'm just curious...in two guides, written in 2006, I
found on the net use rpm to install.  Did this change recently?

> Well, a better way may be to create a port. You'll get at least a clean
> deinstall possibility then. And use send-pr(1). ;-)

Yes, I tried creating a port once before for a new version of bacula
client.  However I could never get it to work.  That was a few years
ago.  Maybe I need to try again. ;)

Thanks,

Drew

--