Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:34:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        DougB@gorean.org (Doug Barton)
Cc:        sue@welearn.com.au (Sue Blake), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: easier mouse revival technique?

Doug Barton babbled:
> Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:00:00 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>

> Sue Blake wrote:
> >
> > Today my mouse was unplugged, and when I plugged it back in, it didn't
> > work.
>
> 	You shouldn't hot plug mice or keyboards on a PC. You can burn out the
> controllers. If the mouse comes unplugged while the machine is on, you
> should turn the machine off before you plug it back in.

That may be true for desktops (I don't know), but I don't believe it to be
true for notebooks.  It's at least my undrstanding that Dell notebooks are
protected from such damage.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD             http://www.dunham.org
jdunham@fc.net               jerry@dunham.org            (512)335-0674 (H)