Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2007 05:34:33 +0000
From:      Rick Nekus <solarux@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)

...more advocacy than anything else, and a little off-topic but;
I've followed this thread and I'd like to apologize personally, for any obv=
ious rudeness I said earlier reply-posts, and 2nd, it just hit me (again) j=
ust how much work all you little "dev"ils and programmers do for us "Users"=
, and I hate the word "reverse-engineering" because, in fact, you're all tr=
ying to give us (Users) access to what I consider an "illegal monopolizatio=
n of hardware"-in the first place. -I realize also, that is debateable? but=
 hey, I like Theo's stance regarding OpenBSD.
...anyway, thats as simple as I can put it at this time, and keep carrying =
the torch guys n' gals 'cause
many of us (user's) actually support you, and we buy those FreeBSD install =
CD's and darn T-shirts, and whatever...because we want to, and because the =
end result simply works -most of the time -desktop-wise :) -isn't FreeDOM w=
onderful !
=20
-I dream of FreeBSD building a dedicated Hardware core-design team(jus' lik=
e the present NetOS team) someday, and guess what! all standards' for all d=
rivers, -now that would smoke!
=20
anyway good luck in (all)the endevours'
=20
Rick.
> Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:34:04 -0500> From: chuckr@chuckr.org> To: Alexa=
nder@Leidinger.net> CC: hg@queue.to; freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org> Subjec=
t: Re: sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)> > Alexander Leidinger =
wrote:> > Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> (from Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12=
:23:38 > > -0500):> > > >> Alexander Leidinger wrote:> >>> Quoting Chuck Ro=
bey <chuckr@chuckr.org> (from Sun, 25 Nov 2007 > >>> 14:59:01 -0500):> >>>>=
e> >>>> snd_hda the current hda driver, and if so, where's the new code goi=
ng> >>>> to be?> >>>> >>> The current HDA driver is in -current. RELENG_7 i=
s on par (AFAIK). > >>> RELENG_6 is "close", but you are better of with REL=
ENG_7 or HEAD. > >>> Yes this is the right list, and the only developer wor=
king on the > >>> HDA front and our sound infrastructure I'm aware of is Ar=
iff (sorry > >>> to the 2 others which work on the envy and creative driver=
s, but > >>> for this discussion you don't count ;-) ). He seems to be shor=
t of > >>> time ATM. You could try to catch him on #freebsd-azalia on freen=
ode.> >>>> >>> I'm not aware of a major rewrite in the HDA part. Ariff seem=
s to be > >>> working on something else: http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/>=
c,> >> about the snd_hda driver badly needing a complete rewrite because it=
> >> was insufficiently, well, bussed? Yeah, bussed meant that code rework>=
 >> was ongoing.> >>> >> If you even know what that comment about the busse=
s being less than> >> they might be means, IF you could point me at any dri=
ver that you> >> personally think shows a more *ideal* setup, it would at l=
east make me> >> aware of what's really wanted. You don't need to describe =
it yourself,> >> I know that'd be a major bore to do that for me, and I cou=
ld probably> >> learn as well by just reading code that illustrates what th=
ings> >> *should* be.> > > > AFAIK, the non-ideal part of the driver is not=
 related to our > > soundsystem. I was told the HDA architecture allows mor=
e than just the > > normal sound output you get with, e.g. AC97 based sound=
cards. So I think > > the idea is to split up the driver specific part a li=
ttle bit more, so > > that you can add more things later. So the parts you =
need to read are > > the HDA specs and get an idea what can be improved the=
re. Graphically > > it's like this ATM:> > In private emails with Andriy Ga=
pon, he told me that he was rather > heaviily involved with the driver, and=
 it was his impression that the > comment that led me to believe that the s=
nd_hda driver was destined for > a rewrite due to undetermined buss problem=
s, could be completely > disregarded, as an old comment that no longer need=
ed to be in any way > regarded.> > Due to the antics of my local apartment =
management, my last two days > were pretty much out of control, but at leas=
t I finally do understand > what the heck the hda docs mean by a "widget" (=
nothing to do with > graphics at all), but I'm still whacking away at the r=
est of the > configuration, which (it seems to me) is about 66% of the magi=
c of that > entire hda architecture. Certainly one heck of a long way diffe=
rent > than any other sound setup I ever heard of. I think no one would > p=
ossibly disagree with me when I say, it's pretty obvious that a > programme=
r basically did the largest part of the system design.> > Long time back, w=
hen I used to do telephone communications systems, we > (in the trade) used=
 to use "designed by programmers" as a codeword for > "disaster", because t=
he resulting systems always seemed to go out of > their way to totally igno=
re all existing standards, and re-commit as > many tried and true mistakes =
as possible. Now that I am myself a > programmer, I try hard not to justify=
 that, but things like the hda > system bring back the truth of that.> > > =
-+> > > > > > And I think the goal is to get something like:> > +----------=