Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:09:47 -0800
From:      Hal Weaver <hweaver@pinetel.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow, noisey hard drive activity

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 01:20:56PM -0800, Hal Weaver wrote:
> > I've installed the following FreeBSD release on two different removable
> > hard drives used in the same laptop (IBM Thinkpad 760 ED):
> > # uname -a
Kris, I made twp identical fbsd installations:
1. on a 1.2G hard drive where fbsd uses the entire drive. Here hard
drive access is fast and quiet.
2. on a 5G hard drive where fbsd uses only half the drive.  Other OSs
share the rest of the drive.  This is the problem installation for
fbsd.  The other OSs both have quiet, fast disk access on this drive.

Conclusion: softupdates status would be the same on both disks; enabled,
I think.  So I don't think that this problem involves softupdates
status.

Hal