Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 1996 12:29:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mark van Loon <mvanloon@vision.net.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dialin Access FreeBSD 2.1.5

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Mark van Loon wrote:

> I have setup a FreeBSD 2.1.5 box which has a modem for dialin access.
>
> The modem is a Vfast Class 28.8

You should contact the manufacturer to get a v.34 version.  v.FC is
horribly out of date.

> The com ports only have 8250 uarts.

Go buy some serial cards with 16550s.  You'll be glad you did.  You won't
be able to push 28.8 with that hardware; _maybe_ 14.4.

> I am using stty to set crtscts on the com ports.
>
> In /etc/ttys I have set the getty to std.38400 for each com port. (No
> changes have been made to /etc/gettytab) I have followed the section in
> the handbook on setting up dialin access and am still having problems.
>
> My problem is this: I cannot connect unless I set the getty speed to
> std.9600 in /etc/ttys, and force the modem to connect at 9600. This will
> give me a login prompt. Any other speed (28.8, 14.4) yields garbage.

That is probably due to your old uart problem.

> I suspect that the problem is occurring because the speed between the
> computer and modem is different from the speed that the modems
> negotiate.

Possibly.

Have you checked the Handbook?  There is a section on setting up dialup
servers.