Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:42:56 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        "ro0t" <root@unixhideout.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: any idea what this means?

On 25 Jun 2002, at 16:25, ro0t boldly uttered:

> Well when i bought the motherboard (Abit KT7A-RAID) i had plans for raid but
> couldnt afford to buy 2 identical drives at that time. (i really still cant
> lol) So at the time i bought the raid motherboard and disabled raid. but
> seeing as i _need_ a drive now anyway i found this site
> http://www.nexthardwareshop.com/ thru pricewatch.com. Lots of stuff fairly
> cheap.

They have some good deals on HDs (especially smaller/older ones) but
the rest of the stuff doesn't impress me as being that unusually low.

When I want truly cheap deals on stuff I either make smart bids on
ebay merchandise, or go to one of the various surplus vendors.

> I just dont know what brand. Im pretty sure im going to get another
> seagate. I had a western digital fail on me, and i had many maxtors fail.
> (over 3 in 4 years) However i must admit i could get two 120 gigabyte maxtor
> hard drives for ony a little over 200 dollars at that site and raid them
> out... *tempting* Im pretty stuck at what im going to do. But i would rather
> have longevity, and stability so i may get two 80 or 60 gig seagates. :)

There are a lot of differences between particular series within the
same manufacturer.  Seagate has made a lot of junk, it's just that
they make some nice drives too - ie SCSI server drives.  In IDE,
their "medalist" IDE drives were junky, and their modern "barracuda"
IDE drives are pretty good.

Bear in mind that Maxtor has been through various changes.  In the
old days, Maxtor made great stuff - they were the first company to
break the 5400 rpm barrier with their "Magic" MXT 6300 rpm SCSI
drives, and they were state-of-the-art back then. (before Seagate
introduced the Barracuda series) A few yrs later they were going
through hard times, sold themselves to a Korean conglomerate, muddled
around for a while.  Eventually their stuff improved, and they bought
Quantum, gaining lots of excellent technology, and the very highly-
regarded Atlas 7200 and 10K rpm SCSI series.  Modern Maxtor stuff
seems to get decent reviews.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium