Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 03:49:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnconfig question

Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu> types:
> 	Hi, I am trying to access an image that I made of a small hard
> drive.  I made it pretty simply with dd if=/dev/ad1 of=file
> I can get vnconfig working fine with an iso, but I try somethig similiar
> with my image and I get this output and error:
> tim# ls
> maxtorbackup
> tim# vnconfig vn0c ./maxtorbackup
> tim# mount_msdos /dev/vn0c /mnt
> mount_msdos: /dev/vn0c: Invalid argument
>
> 	The disk was msdos ver 6 and mounting it worked correctly so I
> figured this would too.  I read the manpage and can't see where I am going
> wrong.  Did I need certain options to dd when I made the image to get this
> to work?  Help would be greatly appreciated.

At a wild guess, you're running into problems with the slice
table. Without knowing how you mounted it as a disk and how you
created the image, it's hard to say. You might try using the
appropriate sliced vn device (vn0s1, say).

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.