Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 14:47:52 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tuslers PC Repair <Tuslerspcrepair@cox.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X386 stuff

Overlong lines, presumably representing paragraphs.

On Thursday,  9 May 2002 at 22:16:56 -0700, Tuslers PC Repair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got FreeBSD today and spent about 6 hours trying to get it to
> show me some kind of GUI desktop. The command prompt is working fine
> but does not do me anygood since I do not know any commands pass
> inputing my password.
>
> I am using a Voodoo 5 5500 card with a standard Super VGA monitor
> 1024x768. The best I can get is showing Half the screen, its like the
> screen would need 4 17" monitors to see the whole thing. I figure
> this is probably 640x480 mode. When I go back in and set it to
> 1024x768 it will not even start. How do I configure this. Linux and
> windows runs great on this computer,

Then so does FreeBSD.  You're not complaining about FreeBSD, you're
complaining about XFree86.  That's what you (presumably) used with
Linux, you've obviously just misconfigured it.  Since you haven't
given any details of what you've done and what happened, the best I
can recommend is to take the XF86Config file from your Linux
configuration.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.