Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:25:02 -0400
From:      Greg Johnson <gjohnson@physics.clarku.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X11 on alpha

I have recently installed FreeBSD for the first time on my alpha (AS200).
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get X11 working.  Here is the error I get by
running either 'startx' or 'xinit' directly (as root):

XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1 / X Window System
Release Date: January 4 1999
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
	than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
	problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT alpha [ELF]
Configured drivers:
  SVGA: server for SVGA graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0):
      NV1, STG2000, RIVA128, RIVATNT, mga2064w, mga1064sg, mga2164w,
      mga2164w AGP, mgag200, mgag100, s3_virge, generic

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

The odd thing is that if I run the server directly (XF86_SVGA), I actually get
the X11 background and cursor.  I believe I have set up my XF86Config
correctly.  Also, I installed FreeBSD 3.3R, even the above says FreeBSD
4.0-CURRENT.

Does anyone have any advice of where to look?

Thanks,

Greg
--
Greg Johnson                          gjohnson@physics.clarku.edu