Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:16:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: undeleting files

Thus sayeth the previous author:

 >Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:36:34 -0500
 >From: Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
 >To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
 >Subject: undeleting files
 >
 >	Ok, I know that it's supposed to be impossible to undelete files in unix
 >or freebsd, but my question is how this is possible?  How does unix/freebsd
 >delete files in such a way that they are unrecoverable?  Just my curious
 >side getting the better of me again.

I've use the -P option with rm(1) to make it difficult to recover a
deleted file:

-P     Overwrite regular files before deleting them.  Files are
       overwritten three times, first with the byte pattern
       0xff, then 0x00, and then 0xff again, before they are deleted.

Addittionally, the -W option will try to undelete the named file provided
it wasn't overwritten with other data.

GNU tools have shred which will overwrite the file many more times with
random data then truncate the file, and then finally unlink it.

Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48