Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:07:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Larry Librettez <lipshitz909@yahoo.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA won't su to root in X terminal

--0-1610120709-985288064=:59054

Here are the outputs, appropriately named.  I
concatenated the output for an rxvt window to the
'xterm' file. I hope this is helpful.

--- Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Larry Librettez wrote:
>
> > This also is strange - from within X (4.3-RC
> kernel + 4.3-RC userland),
> > if I start gnome-terminal, I CAN su to root in
> that terminal window.  If
> > I start xterm or rxvt, I cannot.  However, if I
> start rxvt or xterm from
> > WITHIN a gnome-terminal as regular user (i.e.
> 'rxvt &' or 'xterm &'), I
> > CAN su to root from within that rxvt or xterm!
> Strange!
>
> As I mentioned in my prior e-mail, it sounds like
> something about the
> credential/context of the shell is getting botched,
> resulting (for reasons
> unknown) in a failure of su.  I've written up a
> quick program that prints
> out the accessible process credential information to
> the terminal by
> calling a variety of get*() system calls.  If
> possible, I'd like to get
> you to run this in three different scenarios, saving
> the output to
> appropriately named files :-).  These would be the:
> at the shell prompt on
> the console prior to su, in an xterm prior to su,
> and in a gnome-terminal
> prior to su.  Then e-mail them back and we can take
> a look.  I've attached
> the program in source form as a tarball, just:
>
>    tar -xzf test.tgz
>    cd test
>    make
>
> And invoke as
>
>    ./test
>
> There are a couple of other aspects that may be
> relevant here, relating to
> Kerberos interference if you are running on a box
> where kerberos got
> installed due to a bug in sysinstall.  If the
> credential output doesn't
> give us any clues, we can follow up on that, and
> terminal-related issues.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team,
> TrustedBSD Project
> robert@fledge.watson.org      NAI Labs, Safeport
> Network Services

name=test.tgz

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
--0-1610120709-985288064=:59054

cGlkOgkzMDYKcHBpZDoJMjc4CnBncnA6CTMwNgpzaWQ6CTI3OAoKcF9ydWlk
OgkxMDAxCmNyX3VpZDoJMTAwMQpwX3N2dWlkOgkxMDAxCgpwX3JnaWQ6CTEw
MDEKY3JfZ2lkOgkxMDAxCnBfc3ZnaWQ6CTEwMDEKCmNyX25ncm91cHM6CTQJ
Y3JfZ3JvdXBzOgkgMTAwMSAwIDY5CgpQX1NVR0lEOgkwCgpsb2dpbjoJZWFy
dGgK

--0-1610120709-985288064=:59054

cGlkOgkzNzUKcHBpZDoJMzc0CnBncnA6CTM3NQpzaWQ6CTM3NAoKcF9ydWlk
OgkxMDAxCmNyX3VpZDoJMTAwMQpwX3N2dWlkOgkxMDAxCgpwX3JnaWQ6CTEw
MDEKY3JfZ2lkOgkxMDAxCnBfc3ZnaWQ6CTEwMDEKCmNyX25ncm91cHM6CTQJ
Y3JfZ3JvdXBzOgkgMTAwMSAwIDY5CgpQX1NVR0lEOgkwCgpsb2dpbjoJZWFy
dGgK

--0-1610120709-985288064=:59054
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--0-1610120709-985288064=:59054--