Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 23:11:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Postscript conversion

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:

> Hiya all.
>
> I have searched the archives so I know this question has been asked
> many times, The answer was always Ghostscript!

Ghostscript only uses X if it has been set up with the X11 driver.  The
ghostscript that comes with the base FreeBSD doesn't require it (If you
set up ghostscript with the X11 driver, and either set that driver up as
default, or specify it with flags, it will show it's output on a X11
window.  It's unfriendly, which is the reason why ghostview and gv exist).
Ghostscript can be set up to do what you want, I think there's a ps2ascii
script that does it, but beware!  It doesn't know about carriage returns
too well, so each sentence is one line long (and you get some real long
lines because of that...)

The ghostscript in ports includes every driver under the sun, what a list!

> I don't have X installed!
>
> So is there any other way I can convert postscript files to ascii?
> I would really like to read the socks manual!
>
> I have checked out psutils and didn't find anyway to convert
> _to_ ascii, Did I miss something?
>
> Thanks
> Gary
> Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
> The Borg... Where minds meet
> (207) 929-3848

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |