Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:35:25 -0000
From:      "Alan Edmonds" <kb5zuy@airmail.net>
To:        "R.P. Aditya" <aditya@grot.org>, "Masanori Nakahara" <masa@cs.washington.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Inspiron 2100 (freeze during boot)

I had a similar problem with an thinkpad (model 1500).  Thanks to a post
from Sean Noonan, I reinvestigated the problem and was able to install 4.4.
He trick that worked for me was to interrupt the boot during the 10
second wait and enter the following:

set hw.pcic.intr_path=1
set hw.pcic.irq=0

That allowed the install to get past the "mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c"
and work.  It even allowed the network card in the pcmcia slot to be
configured and work.

I still seem to have a problem adding and removing cards (the system
freezes).  I'm cvsuping to -stable and I'll keep playing with it.

Alan Edmonds