Date:      23 Jan 2002 23:25:21 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Jud <jud@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cooling Athlon / Linux App

Jud <jud@operamail.com> writes:

> I think if you read the VCool documentation, you'll find that the theory,
> at least, is that the Athlon is unable to reach idle mode unless its
> system bus is disconnected, even when it would otherwise make
> eminent sense for the CPU to do so because the system isn't busy.
> VCool purports to set the "Bus Disconnect Enable" bit and so allow the
> CPU to go into idle mode at appropriate times.

That quoted phrase doesn't appear in google *freebsd* archive except in
this thread.  If you think that's important and different from the
CPU_SUSP_HLT mentioned in another msg, please ask about that on -stable
or -current or -hackers or -hardware (?); maybe they've missed
something.  I doubt it, but you seem to have physical evidence of it.

(For the thermal paste, get a piece of hard plastic with a smooth straight
edge just a bit wider than the chip and spread it real even but real
thin.  I've put it only on the chip the few times I've done it, but I'm
thinking that it would be better to spread it only on the heat sink both
because it is probably rougher and easier to clean the over-spread.  I'm
guessing that putting it on both surfaces is more apt to leave bubbles.)