Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 07:49:41 -0700
From:      "Dan S." <DanielS@sac.verio.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Modem connection

I have installed freebsd v2.2.7 on an old 486.  It has a Promise IDE
controller with a 540 meg WD & a 420 meg Conner, it also has a 3-com
etherlink II nick card in it.  The system boots just fine & I am able to
telnet or ftp to the internet via my NT 4.0 server box which has wingate
installed on it.  My problem is when I try to plug in a modem card the
system will not boot..  it tells me to insert a bootable floppy in A drive.
I've tried both a pnp modem card (before & after recompiling a kernel with
the pnp device) & I've also tried a non-pnp card with jumpers set to com1
irq4, com2 irq3, com3 irq5, and hoping for blind luck I've tried every
single configuration possible.  Also when I do try to boot using the floppy
install disk I get a scrolling error message that says: ERROR: D:0x80 C:0
H:0 S:0  Now..  could this be a problem with the board?  modem?  Or perhaps
I need a external modem?  Any input you could provide me with would be
greatly appreciated.

Dan S.
DanielS@sac.verio.net