Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:53:46 -0700
From:      Ryan Davis <ryand@zenspider.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.4S -> 4.0S botched, can't build anything now

buildworld worked fine.

installworld failed.

I followed the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING as best I could, but
I still think it is conflicting on whether to build the kernel first
or not. Doesn't matter, trying to build the kernel first failed,
presumably because config has changed.

I have gone through several phases:

1) The first and most innocent ended with:

===> lib/libcom_err/doc
install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."
--defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error
Description Library for UNIX."  com_err.info /usr/share/info/dir
install-info: unrecognized option `--defsection=Programming &
development tools.'
         Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.

I fixed this with something from the mail archives.

2) Next was the immediate coredump on any make:

"/usr/src/Makefile", line 101: warning: "LC_TIME=C date" returned
non-zero status
*** Signal 12

I figured out that /bin/sh would core. I copied /bin/bash over it and
it worked fine.

3) Finally, after trying to clean up and rebuild:

/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin/byacc -> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin/yacc
cd /usr/src/usr.bin/colldef;  make obj;  make depend;  make all;  make install
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/usr.bin/colldef created for
/usr/src/usr.bin/colldef
yacc -d /usr/src/usr.bin/colldef/parse.y
*** Signal 12

I am stuck. The only thing I've found that is relevant to #3 is to cd
to yacc's directory and make install, but I'm apparently not far
enough in the general build anymore for that to work. The wierd thing
is, unlike #2 where any use of /bin/sh would core, yacc works fine on
the commandline.

I am trying to restore from tape now to see if I can roll out the
partial install until I get this under control. I am really
disappointed in how bad this transition has been. I usually brag to
linux bigots about how painless keeping up to date BSD is w/ cvsup
and /usr/src.
--

             Ryan Davis         -=-    Zen Spider Software
-=- mailto:ryand@ZenSpider.com -=- http://www.ZenSpider.com/ -=-