Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:00:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW Question

> I ran into a problem trying to do the following: I want, using the IPFW,
> to disable my echo service. This works via icmp so the following line
> disables it totally:

Assuming you just want to reject echo (and are allowing everything
else), then you should note that echo is 8, not 7. So the line should
be (for 3.0-RELEASE; if you're running an earlier version, it might be
different):

	ipfw add 1 reject icmp from any to 212.242.22./24 icmptypes 8

This works (well, with my ip addresses in it) for me - the remote host
gets "host unreachable" messages.

But it's better to work firewalls the other way - deny everything, and
then allow the ones you need to let through. So you really want
something like:

	ipfw add 10 allow icmp from any to 212.242.22./24 icmptypes 0,3,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18
	ipfw add 20 allow icmp from 212.242.22./24 to any
	ipfw add 30 deny icmp from any to any

I allowed the inbound set I normally allow, minus echo. You'll may
want to change that. I also allow arbitrary outbound icmp, which you
might also want to change. But the above is better than denying 8 and
allowing everything else!

	<mike