Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 20:30:16 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        larry@avalon.cbl.cees.edu (Larry Lentner)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of MSDOS filesystem support?

Larry Lentner wrote:

> I've been hearing rumors that "the next release" of FreeBSD would
> have support for MSDOS filesystems, but it doesnt appear that 2.1.5
> does. Is that in the works for 2.2?

FreeBSD has included support for MS-DOS filesystems for some time.
This support does tend to be temperamental, particularly when used
to access certain large DOS partitions.  However, it can be perfectly
usable (at least for simple data transfers) if set up optimally.

That said, I am actively working on a replacement filesystem, which
includes VFAT (ie. Windows 95 long filename, etc) support.

As this is a part-time project, I can't absolutely guarantee
availability in 2.2, but I am currently working with that in mind.

--
Robert Nordier