Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Vaidas Damosevicius <vd@vmunix.lt>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange boot block/loader problems with SATA on -BETA1,2 and -CURRENT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Vaidas Damosevicius wrote:

>  	I have very strange problem on 3 different i386 boxes. All of them
> is running -CURRENT and powered by SATA. After the reboot on 3 different
> boxes I see the same error: Missing Operating System. I've tried to
> restore boot block using LiveCD, but after the reboot problem comes
> back to me. Same situation with 5.3-BETA1 and BETA2.

Is the MBR actually corrupted, or is the active bit missing (or worse,
duplicated) on your partition(s)?  There was a bug where sysinstall was
marking 2 partitions as active.  Try booting with DOS FDISK and seeing
what the state of the partition table is.

Are you using boot0?

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org