Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:58:36 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake-client on FreeBSD-3.0 ??

Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, David Greenman wrote:
-snip- [and cc trimmed]
> > >Terry..  The region code is a particular encryption of the data on the
> > >disk.  The various wirehead tricks for hacking players are irrelavent to a
> > >software DVD decoder.  You need the right encryption keys from the spec
> > >document to get the data and to get the spec you need to sign an NDA and
> > >hand over $5000 to Toshiba.
> >
> >    If that is true, then how is it that early Sony '7000 units had an internal
> > switch to disable region coding (i.e. play all regions)?
>
> Perhaps the Sony unit had a decoder built in?  I might be wrong about this
> because I haven't read the spec. but I do know that Windows software DVD
> decoders can play DVDs from any region.

The Sony unit is a standalone Video-DVD player (and I suppose it doesn't
run FreeBSD, not even PicoBSD).

AFAIK software DVD decoders can play any LC but only one per
installation.
In the Creative one you have to specify your LC on installation and you
have to de-install and re-install to switch it to another LC.

I don't think that DVD-ROM's have hard coded LC's.

--
Andre