Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 11:46:08 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comment from InfoStor Current Articles

> Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:35:04 -0000
> From: "peter kok" <aoypcc@hotmail.com>
> Subject: comment from InfoStor Current Articles
>
> http://is.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Su
> bsection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=101424&KEYWORD=microsoft
>
> What do you think?

I think it's just the latest example of vendors kow-towing to their
mass-market customers demand that everything they use has their
favorite windoze interface, and which works with their favorite
windoze features like Active Directory.  Nothing really new there.

The linux and unix communities can either sit back and wait until
these people come to their senses (could be a long wait), or if they
really think it's important, can develop enough compatibility with
windoze to convince the usual simple-minded end-users that they don't
necessarily have to use a native windoze product for everything.

For example I don't see why a user would even have to know what OS is
at the core of a NAS device if it is designed to be managed from a
web browser.  If the users still insist on it being windoze-based in
such a situation, I say they're a lost cause and they should be left
to stew in their bizarre biases.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium