Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:34:31 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav" <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REQ: free pop3 daemon recommendations

Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav wrote:

> Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com> writes:
> > Having followed the bloated and eventually off-topic discussions that
> > spawned off the qpopper vulnerability announcement, I don't recall
> > anyone mentioning free alternatives.
>
> You should read more carefully. Both Cyrus IMAP and imap-uw were
> mentioned early in the thread. The general consensus seems to be that
> Cyrus is fast while imap-uw is easy to set up.

imap-uw has had more than it's share of security exploits of late, too.
The FreeBSD version has (hopefully) been patched to keep up with them.
Both implement POP2 and POP3 as well.

The other caveat about Cyrus is that (most) command-line mailers will
no longer work; imap-uw uses the UNIX mailboxes and is therefore
compabitible with "legacy" mail clients.

I picked imap-uw because it took two minutes to install and zero to
configure.  If I get hacked seriously it'd take me little time to
restore the machine; it's a 486/66 that runs mail and little else,
for my 5-person company.  ;^)