Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:54:00 -0600
From:      Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net>
To:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote FreeBSD Installation

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:26:02 +0100
Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de> wrote:

> Jacob S wrote:
>
> >>http://www.daemonology.net/depenguinator/
> >>The penguin shall fall ;)
> > Looks nice. Thanks!
>
> But make sure first how much a re-setup costs you.  Or how much they
> charge for "remote hands".  Or at best, get some eRic II or DRAC
> remote management card option.  I think it's safer to assume that your
> system will become completely botched up, so better be safe than
> sorry.

Yep, I've already seen what it costs to have them re-install things back
to a "stock" server. I haven't seen any hosting companies that let you
add hardware. That would be a nice option for a colo though. (hmm...
FreeBSD can be booted from Lilo, so it should be possible to use the -R
option in case the server can't boot up into FreeBSD. Then the webhost's
remote reboot option through their website is convenient.)

I expect to test it on a server at work before we try doing it on a
remote server though.

Thanks,
Jacob