Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:05:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   help needed: dead filesystem?

I need help recovering a filesystem, or at least some data from it.

I am using:

 4.1-RELEASE

Machine: Compaq Deskpro 590 (Pentium 90 MHz)
RAM: 80 MB
HD: Maxtor 71687 AP

I suffered a power outage at home where I have two FreeBSD systems.  One
of them is fine.  The other seems to have developed some issues:  during
boot, the autoboot didn't notice the unplanned reboot (odd) and so when it
tries to boot into multi-user mode, it dies while mounting drives.

fsck dies while in phase 2 (check pathnames) of a fsck on my /usr
partition (ad0s1f), and the machine locks up tighter than fort knox.  I am
not that familiar with fsck, so have not used any command line options for
fear of damaging the fs further.

I have fsck'ed the other partitions on this drive without issue, although
a number of errors were found in the /var partition.

Can someone please refer me to a specific resource or give me some idea of
how I might proceed to recover some of the data if I cannot repair this
fs?

I have look at :
Man pages and The Complete FreeBSD (old version, for FBSD 2.2.0)... the
FreeBSD website seems to be down (or at least portions of it are) so I am
encountering a little difficulty finding resources...

thanks
--Steve