Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:18:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Philipp Huber <uebs@gmx.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Question

Philipp Huber wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 11:47:58PM -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> > Someone may correct me on this, but I *belive* the ElTorito format is an
> > extension on ISO9660 (which may or may not be compatible with the ISO9660
> > spec) that allows for Windows' long filenames.  However, to my knowledge,
> > the ISO9660 is the ONLY recommended format for cross-platform CDROMS (not
> > necessarily a limitation of FreeBSD).
>
> ok, i'll correct you ;) the thing you mean is joliet. the unix pendant
> is called rockridge.
>
> anyway el torito is an extesnsion, which emulates a floppy drive from
> cd, so the cd is bootable. so if you want to burn a bootable cd, the
> burning software will ask you for a boot floppy image.

Ahh... Right.  Thanks.  It's been awhile since I burned anything but
straight ISOs.

> > mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0a /mnt
>
> i think this should solve the problem. in my first freebsd days i was used to the auto-regocnition of filesystems by linux, and i often got this error. :-)
> btw. could alsao be mount_cd9660 ....

Yup... I generally recommend the -t parameter as opposed to the mount_*.
For this purpose, they are functionally equivalent anyway.

> mine was automatically configured for mount /cdrom. how nice :)

# echo '/dev/acd0a   /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto  0  0  ' >> /etc/fstab

..should do the trick (make sure those are TABS separating the fields, not
spaces.  I've used spaces here for ease of formatting).  Then a mount
/cdrom will pull the entry from fstab.  Similar entries are also
convenient for occasional/periodic NFS mounts, and floppies.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2