Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:44:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Engelhart <johne@zang.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance problems with Adaptec 3210S controller in 4.4

Hello,

I've just finished installing and migrating over to a new Adaptec 3210S
controller card and I have to say, the performance is totally
uninspiring.  So uninspirining that clearly I have done something wrong.

Setup:

Tyan Tiger MP 2460 w/ dual MP 1800's
  MB PCI is 64bit/33MHz
  1 gig ram
1 Adaptec 3210S controller
8 Seagate ST318452LW (the zippy fast 15K RPM ones)
  4 to each channel
  RAID 0+5, 4 drives on channel A on RAID5 #1, ditto on B
  64Kbyte stripe size
  Write-Back config (no battery back up yet, shipped wrong one)
  128Meg cache
1 NetGear GA622T card
1 J-Random NVidia AGP card
1 IDE CDROM
1 IDE 60 gig drive
Running 4.4

By all accounts, the RAID set up should be pretty darn quick.  The
PCI bus should be the limit, at around 250MB/sec.  However, I'm lucky to
see 30MB/s (as measured by iostat) off the thing.  It's only slightly
faster than the IDE drive.

So... What am I doing wrong, here?  newfs not done right (for starters, I
did just a plain jane newfs).. RAID set up wrong?  Expectations
wrong?  Heck, just one of those segate drives has a minimum sustained
transfer of over 45MB/sec.

Any thoughts/pointers/etc appreciated.