Date:      Fri, 27 May 2011 13:26:09 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [rfc] a few kern.mk and bsd.sys.mk related changes

On May 27, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Alexander Best wrote:

> On Fri May 27 11, Warner Losh wrote:
>> These look generally good.  Just one thing I had a question on:
>>=20
>> #
>> +# Enable FreeBSD kernel-specific printf format specifiers. Also =
instruct gcc to
>> +# enable some diagnostics, which make it easier to pinpoint =
tinderbox failures.
>> +CFLAGS+=3D	-fformat-extensions -fdiagnostics-show-option
>> +
>>=20
>> Does this put sand in the gears of clang support?
>=20
> i don't think so. the code that features -fformat-extensions support =
is freebsd
> specific and gets plugged into the vendor code during every new =
import. dim@
> and rdivacky@ have been discussing the possibility of getting this =
committed
> upstream as something like -ffreebsd-extensions, but they haven't =
decided, yet.

OK.  I have a bunch of uncommitted changes to support external =
toolchains, and this sort of thing might bite me when them...  But I'll =
fight with that when I get there.

> regarding -fdiagnostics-show-option: this is intended purely for gcc, =
since it
> is disabled per default. under clang the flag exists, too, but it is =
enabled by
> default. so specifying it under clang is pretty much a nop.

Cool.  This is less of a concern, since it will be present in most =
external toolchains I care about.

Warner

> cheers.
> alex
>=20
>>=20
>> Warner
>>=20
>>=20
>> On May 27, 2011, at 5:51 AM, Alexander Best wrote:
>>=20
>>> hi there,
>>>=20
>>> i would like to hear people's opinion regarding the following patch. =
it
>>> features the following semantic changes:
>>>=20
>>> 1) -W is now called -Wextra
>>> 2) move -fformat-extensions and -fdiagnostics-show-option out of =
CWARNFLAGS,
>>>  since they aren't really warnings. this will now let anybody use =
custom
>>>  CWARNFLAGS without having to remember to add -fformat-extensions in =
order
>>>  not to break buildworld.
>>> 3) rearrange "\" characters, as to avoid double spaces
>>> 4) when building kernel modules, -fstack-protector was added to =
CFLAGS twice.