Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:29:59 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        jacks@sage-american.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printcap & Magicfilter

jacks@sage-american.com types:
> A thread yesterday caught my attention about using Magicfilter which I have
> never used. I have a new box set up running BSD 4.4 with an HP Deskjet
> 870Cse (color printer) attached and have yet to get it to print right. So,
> I installed Magicfilter, but have two questions:

Good choice.

> 1) What lines need to be added to the /etc/printcap?

Here's what I use for an old deskjet:

# The DeskJet 550c
dj|DeskJet 550C:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/dj:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/dj/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/dj/acct:\
    :if=/usr/opt/libexec/magicfilter/dj550c-filter:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
djraw|DeskJet 550c, raw:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/djraw:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/djraw/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/djraw/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

You'll need to change the /usr/opt to /usr/local, or whatever your
PREFIX is set to. You'll want to change the printer names - "dj" and
"djraw" - to whatever is appropriate for your printer. The djraw entry
is for applications that know how to talk to the printer directly; you
may not need it.

You'll have to change the dj550c-filter in the first
entry. Magicfilter hasn't been udpated in a while, so doesn't build an
870Cse entry. If the 870Cse understands HP's PCL, you can use the
dj550c-filter file, and just change the two invocations of ghostscript
- bin/gs - to use the appropriate device and resolution. If the
printer doesn't do PCL, a bit more work is required. If ghostscript
doesn't include a driver for it, you're out of luck.

	<mike

> 2) Syntax line command to print a "test.text" file

With the above, "lpr -Pdj test.text"

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.