Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:16:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ssh port forwarding

Hi,

I need help with the following port forwarding problem.  Here's my
network...

             firewall/NAT
---------+       ||      +----------+       +--------+
         |       ||      |          |       |        |
fbsd 4.7 |-----> ||----> | fbsd 4.6 |-----> | w2kas  |
ws       |       ||      | srv      |       | ts     |
---------+       ||      +----------+       +--------+

What I want to do is connect to the Windows 2000 Server
(ts) Terminal Server (port 3389) from the FreeBSD workstation (ws)
behind the firewall.

The FreeBSD server (srv) has a public IP and runs the sshd.  I
have an account on the FreeBSD server.  I have root access on all
three boxes.

From ws, I issue the command:

  ssh -2 -L 3389:ts:3389 me@srv

and log on successfully.  This "should" do the following:
  on the localhost (ws) listen on port 3389,
  send all 3389 packets to srv
  on srv, send all 3389 packets to ts

Unfortunately, I've tried this and rdesktop cannot connect.  Am I
missing something?  Are there techniques/tools to diagnose what's
going where?

--
Regards,
Doug