Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:39:55 +0200
From:      "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
To:        "Steve Fettig" <lists@stevenfettig.com>, "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4.6-RELEASE & VMware 3.0

:That's where my last attempt differed.  I had set up the hard drive as=20
:SCSI, but not cd-rom.  I also heard from another poster that=20
:activating=20
:DMA for the cd-rom might work, but I don't understand how one would=20
:activate it in FreeBSD if one can't even get past device probing...=20
:anyway, that is something else.

That's a smart move...  I did not know that VmWare could do this (Only
had it 2 days)...
The older version I played with dod not do this.

As for enabling the DMA, since you can't so it in loader.conf, you can
set it manually from the boot prompt.
I've not reied it, but saw it a couple of days ago..

When you see the OK prompt, do this->

ok set hw.ata.ata_dma=3D"1"
ok set hw.ata.atapi_dma=3D"1"
ok boot

But to be honest, for now the Virtual SCSI stuff sounds better.

:I see.  I haven't followed much of the 4.6 discussion (to be=20
:honest, I'm=20
:really happy with 4.5 other than XFree86 3.x still being part of the X=20
:install -- although I shouldn't complain.  I have problems=20
:with 4.x, so=20
:I don't even use it anyway...) - so I didn't hear anything about=20
:ata/atapi problems...

On that note, to those that use FBSD and VMWare a lot...  Can you tell
me if it's worth trying X windows or am I going to be bitterly
dissapointed?

Also, does anyone bother installing the VMware tools?  At the moment I
have two text-only machines doing some IPSEC / Racoon testing and they
work fine without the tools.  Would I gain anything by installing them?

-D
-----------------------------------------------------------------=0A=
ATTENTION:=0A=
The information in this electronic mail message is private and=0A=
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you=0A=
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that=0A=
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this=0A=
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by=0A=
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or=0A=
opening it.=0A=
=0A=
Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.=0A=
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the=0A=
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.=0A=
Always scan attachments before opening them.=0A=