Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:45:45 -0400
From:      "Kartic Krishnamurthy" <kaygee@netset.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Upgrading

Hi,

I have a question on upgrading Freebsd.  I tried it once in vain and had to reinstall everything.

I am running FreeBSD3.2 w/PAO3.2 on a laptop. My first question is can I upgrade to 4.0 without upgrading PAO (PAO page says that
there will no 4.0 PAO!) or upgrading latest PAO (3.5):  will that affect the system?

My second question is if anyone has tried to use the /stand/sysinstall method of upgrade - I tried that and all hell broke loose
(luckily I had backups).  So I reinstalled the OS from scratch, this time with 3.3R and PAO3.3 but 1)  NFS programs hung on
rcp.statd 2) Openssh2 does not work and Openssh1.2.1 was not available so I restored all partitions from my backup, thereby putting
the system back to the original state.

Could someone please tell me what needs to be done to upgrade (with PAO in mind)?

Thank you,
--Kartic