Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 14:33:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        papalia@UDel.Edu (John)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig & elf

John wrote,
> 'Morning all...
>
> I'm having what I think to be a problem with ldconfig.  Checked the
> archives, didn't spot anything useful.  I apologize in advance if this is a
> FAQ.
>
> Running 3.3, and everythings seems to be purring ok, except for the
> occassional call to an elf library. I thought I understood the command,
> somebody correct me if i'm off:

Not sure if you do.

> I tried to run ldconfig -elf.  Nothing.

This is correct behavior. You probably just reset the
/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints file to nil as well.

> ldconfig -v -elf = nothing

That's correct. You are pretty much telling it to do nothing here.

> ldconfig -v -m -elf = nothing

Correct.

> ldconfig -v -R -elf = nothing

Correct.

> ldconfig -v -m = nothing

Correct.

> Previously if i ran ldconfig -v -r -elf, I'd be shown what was in essence
> and empty file.  Now if I run ldconfig -v -r -elf, I get a Bad system call
> (core dumped).  Not sure what I did...

This, however, is NOT correct. I am not sure why it would be core
dumping. Before you try anthing else, why don't you rebuild your hints
file,

# ldconfig -elf /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib
# ldconfig -r -elf