Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:02:42 -0500
From:      "Havener,  Kevin" <Kevin.Havener@afccc.af.mil>
To:        Harry Newton <harry_newton@telinco.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Relative Merits of FreeBSD

I run 'em both.  Have the same philosophy as you.  Can't say that there's
much difference.
I only track the stable releases of each, and Debian is getting a little
long in the tooth right
now, but it works fine.

I think Debian is a little easier to set up, configure and upgrade, but with
your background,
you won't even notice that.

Specifically, the answers to your questions, IMHO. from a similar level of
user are:

There isn't anything you can do in FreeBSD that you can't do in Debian.  No
difference in
stability that I've noticed or speed, but I don't run any fancy window
managers--I use a 486.
If you've been running Debian for awhile, you might want to run FreeBSD in
parallel for
awhile at least.  Believe it or not, you've become adjusted to the Debian
way, and you'll
want some of the configuration items from your Debian setup.

I intend to keep running them side by side for the forseeable future.  I'll
let you know if one
begins to outperform the other for this level of use :-).

					Kevin