Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:47:01 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Way Off Topic: Bookmarks

Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net> types:
> On 10/11/01 11:49 AM, Mike Meyer sat at the `puter and typed:
> > I put them on a page on my server. My primary browser at home has a
> > command that will add either the page I'm on or the link I'm on to the
> > page. I've got a maildrop that accepts a URL on the subject line and
> > adds it for use from other browsers or other locations.
> >
> > You can read it yourself at <URL:
> > http://www.mired.org/cgi-bin/hotlist.pyo >
> Very cool!  You say you can add this automagically from your browser?
> I took a quick look at your overview.  Looks pretty well thought out.

Thank you. Yes, I can add things automatically from my primary
browser. I use w3m, which is the only browser I know of that supports
the concept of "open another browser on a page". One of the "other"
browsers is a script that accepts the URL on the command line, digs
the title up over the network, and adds the url and title to the
database.

Any scriptable browser could do this kind of thing, though the only
scriptable browsers I know of are Amosaic, Ibrowse and AWeb, none of
which run on Unix. In fact, this all started with Amosaic.

> At first glance, it looks a bit involved for a simple port, but is
> there any chance you'd consider doing a port for this?  I'm sure it'd
> be pretty well accepted.

If you read the paper, there's a *lot* of machinery behind the
thing. Do you *really* want to install an SQL server and a language
interpreter just to keep your bookmarks? I already had all this
mechanism in place for other reasons - my web site search engine uses
them (and is equally cool :-), for instance - so this wasn't a problem
for me.

I'm also not sure how the py_apache module would be dealt with. It's
not a port, and the port with that functionality doesn't build and
would require rewriting the thing.

If you really want, I might be able to find the original versions that
kept text in a page. I'm pretty sure I've got the ARexx version, and
there are rexx interpreters in the ports tree. I'm not so sure about
the version that I used on Unix before I write the current version.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.