Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:11:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
Cc:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: server config (hardware)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Roman Katsnelson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am about to build a new web, dns and mail server for our company.
>
> The one we have now runs on a Sparc20 with Solaris, but I don't like it.
> I want to build it on an intel with FreeBSD, and am basically just
> seeking some ideas on the hardware config. It is a server that with time
> (hopefully) will get a heavy load.
>
> I was thinking:
>
> Pentium 2 =~233Mhz, 128M RAM, 4G HD...

P233?  You might as well do better :)  If you're getting heavy hits,
you'll want more memory.

> Is this too weak? Too much? I am really picking these numbers out of
> nowhere, so any experienced feedback would be much much appreciated.
>
> Also, when I install FreeBSD on it, should I do a minimal install, or is
> there other stuff I might need?

Install what you need.  You've got plenty of diskspace.  The only trick is
partitioning it reasonably.  You might consider taking the ``monolithic
filesystem'' road so you don't run into problems overloading /var/mail,
but again you may want to split it off so it's easier to back up and apply
quotas to.