Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 00:15:29 +1200
From:      "Philip Murray" <webmaster@open2view.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Many directories or many files?

Hi,

I have a large library of photos (>100,000, Real Estate) and at the moment
I'm storing them in a big dump split up by a few directories.

I'm getting to the point where I have ~8000 files per directory. I was
wondering whether I should write some kind of hashing function and have lots
and lots of directories, or whether it's best to have more files per
directory?

Also, if anyone knows of a Free image/media storage system that I can use,
that would be wonderful.

I also looked into storing them in a mysql database, but I'm pretty sure it
couldn't handle it.

Cheers