Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:21:50 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exporting Tar via FTP on the fly

In the last episode (Oct 24), Lord Raiden said:
> 	Hi.  I got a server that every so often needs to have several
> large files backed up via tar.  Problem is there also isn't enough
> local storage space to store the tar file while it's being written.
> Enter FTP.  I was wondering if there is a way to export the tar file
> on the fly as its being written via FTP to a central storage server.
> I could use samba of course, I'm sure, but neither server has samba
> and due to a number of reasons, we're not planning on adding samba to
> either system anytime soon.  So my only option is to either use a
> removable USB HD and sneakernet it over to the other server, or
> figure out a way to transfer it via FTP while it's being written.
> Any suggestions?

ports/ftp/wu-ftpd supports dynamic tarring of directories, so you could
"get usr.tar" and it would tar up /usr on the fly.  If your files are
in different directories, either ftp them singly over to the
destination and tar them up there, or NFS mount one server's filesystem
on the others and tar over NFS.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com