Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:03:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        julian@elischer.org, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   No block devices (was: VMWare on -current, how fast should I expect it to be?)

On Tuesday, 12 September 2000 at 10:13:16 -0400, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> Julian Elischer (julian@elischer.org) wrote:
>>
>> Nik Clayton wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> For those of you running VMWare (2) on -current, how fast do you expect it to
>>> be?
>>>
>>> I'm running it quite successfully on a 750MHz PIII w/ 128MB RAM, and the
>>> following disk controller / disk
>>>
>>>     atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xfc90-0xfc9f at device 7.1 on pci0
>>>     ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
>>>     ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
>>>     ad0: 17301MB <FUJITSU MHJ2181AT> [35152/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
>>>
>>> This is -current from about three weeks ago.  It works, but it's a bit slow.
>>> Applications themselves run at a reasonable speed, but every now and then
>>> (can be as frequent as 10-15 seconds)
>>
>> use only virtual disks and see if it still happens.
>> I found (on vmware 1) that using the raw disks was a recipe for
>> poor performance. Since we don't have block devices any more,
>> we are screwed in this regard. Virtual disks (files) are however
>> buffered and so can sometimes work faster.
>
>  I'm confused...
>
>  I thought one of the justifications for removing the block devices
>  was "look - Linux doesn't have any."

No, that's never been a justification for removing block devices.
Linux has block devices but no character disk devices.

FWIW, I was never happy with the removal of block devices either.  I
was shouted down with "can you point to any one use they are?", to
which I replied "just because I don't know of one doesn't mean there
isn't one, or that there will never be one in the future".  This is an
example where they could presumably be useful.

Greg