Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:54:07 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>, "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: filesystem full?

If a process dies out, the kernel should release all resources used by that
process.  The only processes using the /var filesystem, are the default system
processes.  I can't make any claims otherwise.

I do know that my mail server has been up for 239 days without problem, and
another box I admin is a few days short of a year, and it's doing mail, web,
nat, dhcp, ftp, etc...  I don't have to do any manual maintenance on those
boxes or any other box that I administrate.

In the 5 years I've been using FreeBSD, this is the first time I've seen a
problem of this nature that I couldn't resolve without rebooting.  So yes, I
consider this an issue that puts a dent in FreeBSD's claim of stability.  It
needs to be addressed.

What I don't get, is why everyone is getting so defensive over this.  All I
did was point out a potential problem, and everyone's jumping on me.

Y'all need to take a pill or something.  Chill out.

-Troy