Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:00:53 -0700
From:      Samuel Chow <cyschow@shaw.ca>
To:        Joshua Lokken <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Newbies@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UNIX Mail help

> From: "Joshua Lokken" <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
>
> [about DNS -- snip]
> Ok, that makes sense.  Would an internal caching nameserver still
> be a good idea?  I have a small site; 4 FreeBSD machines, one of
> which is the gateway/router and one of which is the server, a test box
> and a workstation, also a Sparcstation5/Solaris box.  My needs are to
> host my domain only (httpd, mail, mp3).

    Internal caching nameserver does not help with other
    people looking for the MX record for your domain.  So, for
    this purpose, no, it does not help.

> >     You have your limitations on what you can do.  For example,
> >     since you are on DHCP, you do not get mail once your IP
> >     is changed and your MX record hasn't been changed.  Is
> >     that something you want?
>
> I understand the implications of this setup, however, my IP
> hasn't changed once in 2 years.  If it does, I have ddclient checking
> periodically with ZoneEdit to update the IP.  Will this still take
> [up to] 72 hours to propagate, as with any name updates?

    That depends on your TTL for your domain.

> >     Another example is my reverse DNS does not always work, and
> >     guess what?  I can't deliver mail to freebsd.org during
> >     those time.  So what I do is to setup qmail with a static
> >     route with freebsd.org domain to go to my ISP.
>
> If you have time and energy, I'd be interested in knowing a little
> more about that.  How do you setup a static route for that situation?

    In qmail, there is this file /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
    specifies how mail destined for different domains are handled.
    I have 'freebsd.org:mail.myisp.com' in it to override MX
    lookup when mail is for freebsd.org.  Instead, qmail forwards
    the mail to mail.myisp.com.

> >     Choices like that cannot be made until you understand what
> >     your limitations are and what your ISP can do.  That's what
> >     I meant.
>
> To find meaningful answers to these ISP-related issues, who do
> I contact? Any Joe Blow at the ISPs office?  A specific department?
> What questions do I need to ask?  I know that I sometimes complicate
> things more than they need to be in my own mind...

    I just meant it in a general sense.  For example, if your SMTP
    port is firewalled by your ISP, then you have no chance of hosting
    your own mail.  Once you understand the whole mail concept, then
    what your ISP is doing becomes apparent.  At that time, you can
    make an informed decision as to how you can best utilize their
    infrastructure.

---
Samuel Chow
cyschow@shaw.ca

Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
This message is displayed using recycled electrons.