Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:08:40 +0100
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Info / RIT.lt" <info@rit.lt>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, Micheas Herman <m@micheas.net>
Subject:   Re: NTP security hole CVE-2013-5211?

--Apple-Mail=_20AE229B-882B-44AF-BA93-4919477E8D81

On 21 Mar 2014, at 11:41, Info / RIT.lt <info@rit.lt> wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD users, my first experience with FreeBSD was 14 years ago, =
but due to hardware problems I chose Linux. After working with Linux for =
14 years, I decided to give a shot to FreeBSD again. After setting up =
FreeBSD server with jails, I became a victim of DDoS which was launched =
from my dedicated server, investigation led to NTP server, this =
misconfiguration left with default settings shocked me, please fix this =
configuration bug.
>=20
> Firewall is for filtering traffic, but not for hiding buggy configs.
>=20
> Regards,
> Mindaugas Bubelis

I kept silent so far, but this lets me frown a bit.

We all know that there are people on the internet that try to hurt our =
businesses, 24*7*365.
All unprotected networks and hosts are targeted, 24*7*365.

It is -very- common practise to setup a security perimeter, to only =
allow traffic you want to have to your machine(s)
and only let out traffic you want from your machine(s). I worked for =
large scale ISP=92s, and we all did the same.

Reading the mails from this thread leads me to believe that there is no =
stateful firewall concept in place?

Only allow the network you want to your NTP server(s) and deny the =
others.
Only let our your NTP server=92s to the internet to retrieve the date.

Do that statefully and only traffic you send out should come back with =
the last line mentioned, it is hard from the internet seen
to hijack such a session and fool the firewall from letting the packet =
back in to your NTP server.

In my believing it is so that if you do not filter traffic, you are =
making a deliberate choice to let everyone smack your service(s).
That is not a problem but you also need to modify your configuration(s) =
to make sure it is as safe as it gets. We (FreeBSD) updated
the ntpd.conf file that is shipped as a Security Patch so that users =
running our update facilities have that in place. However since
people also change their configurations on their own or do not use that, =
they need to be aware that they need to update the rules as
well! We do not want to enforce our configuration changes to users who =
might have a good reason for having an alternative setup!

The only thing I saw from Brett that might need investigation is the =
additional 'disable monitor=92, though would that break people=92s
setup ? are people using that on purpose for some reason? Then we cannot =
enforce it, just advice that this might be an solution to
prevent issues.

In my understanding and believing, stateful firewalling your networks is =
the best option, making sure that only your own machines
or a selected set of machines can access NTP resources on your network =
(or the internet, whatever you prefer) and that traffic
leaving your borders can only return if the firewall sees that you setup =
the communication in the first place.

In the above case: did you install the FreeBSD-release and never =
updated? Then that is something -you- should have done. Installing
something via delivered media is always out of date and needs to be =
updated before first use.

Thank you.
Remko

<owner-freebsd-security@freebsd.org> on behalf of Brett Glass =