Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:37:45 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        fpassera@freesurf.fr
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: will the XFree86-3 package be installed ?

Rfpassera@freesurf.fr types:
> Many packages that runs under X require the package XFree86-3. Suppose that
> you have installed the package XFree86-4 to run X. When you will install a
> package that require XFree86-3 (xview-3.2.1_1 for example), will the
> XFree86-3 package be installed ? If yes, is this a problem ?

It depends. Package/port dependencies are for files, not
packages. I.e. - xview-3.2.1 needs some X libraries, etc. So the
package should check for one of those, and if it exists, it won't
install a package even if the package that installed the file isn't
the one it thinks it should be.

Of course, if the file that's actually installed doesn't provide the
functionality the package is looking for, you're going to be hosed at
runtime. While X should be backwards compatible, you can buy some
insurance by building from ports. In which case, make sure you add
XFREE86_VERSION=4 to /etc/make.conf.

	<mike