Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 18:51:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Allen Campbell <allenc@bamboo.verinet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall

> What bits, if any, of sysinstall's successor are currently available?  I
> have read in -hackers and -commit about the desire to replace
> sysinstall.  I thought I had read that Mike Smith was currently working
> on this.

Mike, I and Eugene (a contractor in Russia) are working on it.  What
we've decided to do is start with the new package system since the
idea has always been that sysinstall would be little more than a
wrapper around a much more powerful packaging system which handled all
the dependency, registration and upgrade functionality.  Sysinstall
itself would do little more than set up disks and figure out how to
get packages from a wide variety of media.

In any case, the new package system is still very much a WIP and also
has some pretty hefty prerequisites:

    Qt 1.40 or later.
    TurboVision 0.6 or later.
    gcc 2.8.1 or later (also including egcs).

The latter is the biggie for most folks since 2.7.2, our current
compiler, has C++ support which is broken in too many ways for Eugene
to write the kind of C++ code he wanted to write (he's a big fan of
templates and MI).  Since we've wanted to upgrade our compiler
toolchain for some time, I figured this was as good a justification as
any and am still looking for a team to jump in with egcs 1.1.1 and
start looking at the integration issues.  Both Poul-Henning Kamp, John
Polstra and Peter Wemm have looked into this a bit already but time
constraints will probably prevent any of them from doing anything more
substantive than that for awhile.  In other words, people are welcome
to jump in on this one! :)

- Jordan