Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:56:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gary Dunn <gdunng@mac.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw/database/logging development

Gary Dunn <gdunng@mac.com> types:
> What concerns me is that in the past year there has been a huge
> increase in the number of households using cable modems (aka RoardRunner). Even
> small businesses and schools. Few of these people have a clue about network
> security. Some install a "firewall" application, but I am skeptical about the
> effectiveness of such programs. As far as I know, cable modem service providers
> offer no security, not even simple IP address blocking at the router.
>
> Are we all being placed at greater risk because of inadequate security measures
> involving cable modems? Or is the threat a mirage?

Maybe yes, maybe no. If there are lots of unprotected systems that are
on 7x24, that's a problem. A DOS attack with 50,000 PCs scattered all
over the network is *much* nastier than anything that can be mounted
from even a large university.

I don't know how good the "firewall" applications are either. There
are some "DSL/Cable routers" that have built-in firewall
functionality, and seem pretty good. Since they are nearly plug-n-play
for a small LAN of windows boxes (i.e. - just configure the windows
boxes as DHCP clients, and you're done), one can hope they become
popular for sharing network connections, etc.

	<mike