Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:27:59 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Outdated rdist in FreeBSD Base

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 06:43:02PM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

> v6 works fundamentally differently to and is incompatible with the old
> rdist, if ours is the same as the old rdist that was in BSD/OS. It is
> quite unfortunate that two programs using different protocols have been
> given the same name.

I'm aware of this problem.  It's what prompted me to notice that
the new rdist was available under an open-source license, and to
suggest importing it.

Apparently rdist has fallen out of favor with things like rsync
around, that suit most people's needs.  Removing it from the base
system and allowing for a port is better than shipping an out-of-date
version.

> The "Compatibility" section of the rdist6 docs, also readable at
> http://www.MagniComp.com/rdist/ explains the issues rather
> optimistically. From my reading of this and your post, when we remove
> the old rdist from FreeBSD we will no longer have any means to honour
> pre-existing cron jobs in a heterogeneous environment.

Just compile and install the new version of rdist.  It runs on
every architecture I have (Linux, AIX, IRIX, SunOS, Solaris, HPUX,
FreeBSD, Rhapsody/Darwin).  It works out of the box, and has some
features that the previous version didn't.

The "protocol incompatability" is that rdistd (the server) and
rdist (the client) are now seperate programs instead of running
"rdist -server" (or whatever).  I think the experssion of backward
compatability is that "rdist -server" will run rdistd if you try
to use the old client to talk to the new server.

> If I'm on the right track here, it would be great if someone could
> check that newer FreeBSD systems will be able to rdist both ways in a
> heterogeneous environment, i.e., retain the old rdist executable
> (either left in the base system or included as part of the v6 port,
> with a suitable path/filename) and check that with the new rdist
> installed it is indeed still possible to rdist both ways as the URL
> above explains. Then we would have made an all round improvement by
> making this change.

If there's significant interest, we could create
ports/misc/bsd-rdist to install the BSD-44 version.

 - Steve